MY STORY



Valentin Batalak

This is my incredible and inspiring story of how I founded and learned to run a jewelry shop - and how I finally succeeded, not despite many mistakes, but because of them, how I built ValentinsJewellery in 2021, an online shop where people are interested in my products, happy, satisfied, loyal, and critical. This is my 31-year story of transforming myself from an almost comically incompetent entrepreneur into an honest shop owner, teaching myself how to run a shop. Thirty-two years ago, during my post-diploma studies at the Faculty of Law in Zagreb, I inadvertently opened a jewelry shop, Juvelur-Zlatar, Valentin Batalak s.p. in Rogaška Slatina. Why in Rogaška Slatina?!

Because of my family ties, which were closely linked to this attractive and touristic place, incidentally, my grandmother's brother Pjeter Vuçaj visited Rogaška Slatina for the first time 98 years ago in 1924. I have a photograph that was taken at the Attems monument. After 1960, my uncle Baldasar-Bato came to Rogaška and opened a photo studio, "BATO," next to the current café Lipica. After that, my father and mother often came to visit Uncle Bat. I also keep some nostalgic photos from 1964-1965 for my parents. My brother Robert came to Rogaška Slatina in the mid-1980s and was attracted by Uncle Bato because he saw a niche market for his nephew.

Since my ancestors from Prizren-Kosovo were filigree and made gold and silver ornaments, our family offer was first directed to Croatia-Rab. Then we ended up in the most beautiful Slovenia - Rogaska Slatina.

My older brother opened a goldsmith's shop by the promenade in the mid-1980s and became famous for his masterly filigree gold and silver jewelry design. The 1990s saw dramatic changes in the former shared state. For me, the only security and prospect of living and working in Rogaska were precise because of my ancestors' connection to this beautiful place and, of course, the proximity of a close family member.

As a post-graduate Public Private International Law and International Relations student at the Faculty of Law in Zagreb, I continued my studies for two years. The link with my studies was abruptly severed during the successful completion of the Law of the Sea exam. Then, I was stopped crossing the border into Croatia because I had a red passport from our former common country.

As a child, I lived with my parents in Prizren, and my father always insisted that I learn a filigree trade, always advising me that one must have a trade and a school. As a young boy, I was stubborn and did not care about the hard work of a lattice. At that time, I was only interested in pens and books.

In 1991, I opened an exclusive jewelry shop in the park's center in "Stara Direkcija" in Rogaška Slatina, the oldest building in this tourist town. I devoted myself to more modern jewelry design. However, my jewelry shop was not an overnight sensation. I have never been perfect, nor am I now, so I encourage people of all ages to get to work and learn to lead by doing rather than waiting or thinking. By being honest about my struggles, I encourage us to embrace our failures to be better leaders. Now is the time for digital business; we should strive to rebuild our entrepreneurial authority. Currently, there is no other way than to get involved in the global economy's digital platforms and other social networks.


Copyright © 2023-2024 ValentinsJewellery. All rights reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pearl

Discover the Perfect Holiday Gift: Birthstone Jewels!